Saturday, June 6, 2009

facebook

I already have a facebook account. I thought at first that it would be a great vehicle to attract people to library programs/events (NOT!). So far that has not happened well. I have friended myself to various campus groups when I was attempting to ingratiate myself to student body groups. What needs to happen is my library needs to take its inactive facebook institutional account and figure out what and why and how we need to use it.

I have mixed feelings about its use. I like my foray into facebookdom but I don't know if it really can connect with official institutions dissemination. Perhaps, what needs to happen is to really use the existing Moffett account and to try to see if we can befriend students, etc... .

As for the privacy issue I have limits of who can befriend me. I have ignored people who I did not know how they made contact. I notice some people (individuals) who befriend into the 100s. I am amused/frightened at that but that may say as much about my caution on the very nature of friendship. I know we have a new generation that would be amused. Lately, every old high school acquaintance of mine has begun to show up out of the woodwork. Frankly, the contact I have made through facebook with them is better than when I went to a real world class reunion. Attending one reminded me why I did NOT like some people in the first place so much for the attractions of the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment