Monday, May 11, 2009

What does 2.0 mean to me or why must we change always.

The definition that I like about the whole 2.0"thingie - as said by Sarah Houghton

“Library 2.0 simply means making your library’s space (virtual and physical) more interactive, collaborative, and driven by community needs. Examples of where to start include blogs, gaming nights for teens, and collaborative photo sites. The basic drive is to get people back into the library by making the library relevant to what they want and need in their daily lives…to make the library a destination and not an afterthought.”

The part that hits a personal and professional nerve is 'making the library relevant , ... a destination and not an afterthought." This weekend as I cleaned off my mother's bookcase I stumbled across a book (pre-Kindle format) called Who moved my cheese?" I had assumed this book was another bad organizational self-help tome. It really fits what's happening at my worksite.

Right now at my library we're not quite in the Sniff & Scurry realm where we are grabbing change like a welcome long lost relative we truly are overjoyed to see; we are more like Hem and Haw. So at work sometimes we think that if we can ignore some changes some people will be retired/or dead, perhaps, by then; others feel more like how can we use what's here or what may be coming to make what we do better, and more useful for our publics.

On a bad day I too wonder can I be like Hem hanging on until I can retire (NOT!) and things get to be somebody else's problem. On a good day I want to try different things because I see so much potential to get better cheese if we are willing to shake up things in little and in BIG ways. We're already doing some things I see on your list but we also have a strong feeling in the work culture that we have done the cheese thing in a certain Walmart big store where you can get your old cheddar variety so why do we have to make adjustments; why can't we be shown love without having to do things differently. I want to hang around in this profession because I really feel in my heart that 2.0 can open up if we will let it what we do to publics that right now have written us off as irrelevant ; they don't even care about our position as solid citizen. I'd like to work long enough to turn some of this on its head. So that 's why I'm still trying to learn more stuff, and to make myself move along even when part of me says I'm lazy; I'm tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment